Hi my lovely readers!
It has been a while since I shared a recipe with you, but today we’re going to Turkey. Menemen is a Turkish and Greek dish originating apparently from a place called Menemen that both exists in Greece and Turkey.
I know it from Turkey as I was introduced to this simple, but yet delicious dish last year in Istanbul while visiting.
My partner is originally from Turkey so I had the pleasure of sampling a few different Turkish dishes and sweets over the years. My favourite still being Manti closely followed by a kebab that was drenched in butter and Menemen.
Menemen is sort of scrambled eggs in a tomato and pepper sauce dish. It’s served hot and with some bread often for breakfast. It’s so easy to make at home and if you want to bring a bit of Turkey to your home, you can give Menemen a go.
Ingredients (Serves around 4):
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1 Medium Onion
- 3 – 4 Medium Tomatoes
- 1 Green Bell Pepper or 2 Green Turkish Peppers (the long pointy once)
- 1 Handful Fresh Parsley
- 2 Tsp Hot Chilli Flakes or 1 Chilli (optional)
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- Salt and Pepper
1. First start by chopping your veggies. Finely chop the onion and dice the peppers into bite sized pieces. I used one red and one green pepper as I only had those. If you can find the Turkish peppers that are a bit more pointy try and use those. If you can’t find them just use the normal supermarket options. Also dice the tomatoes if you’re using fresh once. If you don’t have any at home you can alternatively use a can of chopped tomatoes. However, use the fresh once if you can as they taste better. They also give a slightly different texture to the dish.
2. Next, sauté the onions until they become translucent. Then add the peppers and fry for a few minutes until they start to soften.
3. Add all the spices and fry everything for about a minute for the spices to release their aromas.
4. Add the tomatoes and let the sauce simmer until the tomatoes cook down and the sauce starts to thicken.
5. Lastly, break the eggs into a mug and get rid of any shells that might have fallen in and add all the eggs in one go to the Menemen. Stir and mix the eggs into the tomato and pepper sauce and wait for them to scramble. Toast some bread to go with this dish and sprinkle over the parsley once cooked.
Find me on Instagram @cruisetravel88
Pin me for later!