Hi my lovely readers!
I love mulled wine. It is my go to winter tipple and drink that I have year after year during the cold winter months. I make my own every year from scratch, check out the recipe here if you are interested.
However, mulled wine is not for everyone. Of course kids cannot drink it, you cannot drink it if you are driving when visiting friends and family and I have lately had work colleagues and friends that cannot drink it because of religious beliefs, pregnancy and so on. All valid reasons.
A few times I tried spiced apple juice here in the UK while visiting Christmas Markets and I wanted to replicate this non-alcoholic festive and delicious alternative to the traditional mulled wine myself.
Here is my take on Spiced Apple Juice.
- 1 L Apple Juice
- 1/2 Lemon
- 2 Tsp Honey
- 1/4 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon or 3 Cinnamon Sticks
- 1/4 Tsp Ginger
- 20 Cloves
- Seeds of one Cardamom Pod
1. Empty the apple juice into a heatproof pan and turn on the hob for it to start warming up.
2. In the meantime, put your cardamom pod into a pestle and mortar and bash a little so the pod opens. Remove the shell and grind the seeds into a powder. Slice the lemon.
3. Add all your ingredients to the apple juice and heat it up so it boils a little. Once it reaches boiling point, turn the heat of and let the ingredients to infuse for another 10 min or so.
4. Strain the liquid, if you like and enjoy!