As a German, I eat lots of soup in the winter to warm up and especially cabbage and beans are staple ingredients in the German cuisine that also feature in today’s recipe.
This cabbage soup with chorizo is super easy to make and can feed the entire family.
It features easy and healthy ingredients and the chorizo flavours this soup naturally so no fancy herbs or spices are required.
Also, this is a one pot soup so less washing up afterwards!
Ingredients (for approximately 6 people):
- 1 Red Onion
- 500 g Potatoes
- 1 kg White Cabbage
- 1,5 l Vegetable Stock
- 100 g Carrots
- 4 Stalks of Celery
- 1 Tin / 425 ml White Beans
- 200 g Chorizo
- Salt and Pepper
- Oil for frying (I used sunflower)
- Fresh Parsley to sprinkle on top (optional)
1. To start with, chop all your veggies (onion, potatoes, carrots and celery) except the cabbage into bite sized pieces and fry on a medium heat for 6 – 8 min.
2. Cut the chorizo into slices and half these. I prefer it this way so I can get more meat pieces in the soup. Alternatively, you can leave the chorizo as whole slices. Add the chorizo to the veggies and fry with them for about 2 min.
3. Next, slice the cabbage into strips and add to the pot. Season with some salt and pepper and fry for a further 5 min.
4. Add the veggie stock and simmer the soup for 12 min.
5. Last but not least, add the white beans to the soup and boil 3 more min.
Sprinkle the parsley on top for a nice look and serve the soup with some grilled or toasted sourdough bread if you wish. Or just eat it on its own. Either way is tasty.